Friday 6 September 2013

Summer "97"

It was summer 1997, i had just  written my junior WEAC, waiting for the result to come out, i had no fear in me because i studied very hard thanks to my brother. Yetunde, Folake and i had serious plans for that summer........ i can never forget that summer *sigh*. Bukola Ademola's birthday was happening that summer and we all had plans. We had been planning for the party from the beginning of the year, we would all sit around in school and gist about what to wear for the party. Folake, Yetunde and i enrolled in one summer school, although we used to call it lesson back in the day, not the tush "summer school" that they call it now. It was called Offshore or something sha i cant remember.......against my mothers wish...... she wanted me to stay with her in that dead town called Festac town and have that my extremely dry and judgmental lesson teacher called Uncle Wole to tutor me to the next level.......how very boring *yawns* . 

I cried, begged and used my famous emotion blackmail card (which never works) on my mum to allow me go to my aunt's house in Surulere where all the good life tinz were happening. I looked my mum in the eye with a very sorrowful look on my face and asked her: mummy, do you want me to be happy, she looked back at me with an eyebrow raised suspiciously and said of cause i want you to be happy, then i replied her that she would allow me live my life........at 14??? who dash you life?? i will slap the spit out of that child...........My mother gave me the ''are you stupid look'' and screamed at me: go and clean that pomo and grind that pepper i want to go and pray, ode buruku!!! then she mimicked my voice "then you should allow me live my life" she finished off with a very winshly laughter and clapped her hands in the process.......hey i don't sound like that jo...... i thought to my self....... I did all i had to do that day and worked my magic on my brother, i asked him if he wasn't going to Surulere, he looked at me suspiciously and asked me Kilode?? (meaning WHAT) like i was pestering him.....which i had been doing the whole day..... i looked at him and started laughing, we both started laughing. He started pushing me out of his room and at the same time was screaming mummy Yewande is disturbing me!! at that point i told him to stop screaming that mummy was praying and i stuck out my tongue at him and told him he was dead.....because my mum does not like to be disturbed when praying....... my brother started punching, shoving and pushing me out of his room which made the both of us laugh really hard......I started begging him and promising to massage his leg and scratch his back for him for hours if he would only hear me out. I told him Festac was boring that we should go to Surulere, he looked at me and told me to go na........I told him about my mother's plans for me that holiday and at that point i started scratching his back.....I told him mummy would never allow me to go to Surulere by myself, i cajoled him, i blackmailed him, i cried him a river...... anything to get out of Festac.

Yetunde and i entered bus to Folake's house in shitta it was our first day of summer school.....coming from a girls' only school, sitting in the same room with boys your age was like winning 50billion Dollars *sigh*.......it was heavenly. Yetunde had baby curls on her head, she had the Aniter Baker hair style, I had a beautiful synthetic short fringe Cleopatra style shinny wig, and Folake fixed her hair......we were feeling totally fly......We settled in nicely.

During lunch time some three boys drove in with a space bus with speakers blaring the very unclear version of Honey by then; Puff daddy and Mariah Carey, attracting all the attention. They stepped out of their car, they had dark cheap looking over sized sun shades on, feeling totally cool with themselves, they looked around and when they looked our way all three of us grunted.....Folake, Yetunde and i looked at each other totally surprised by the sound of our grunt, we did not expect it to sound sooo loud and disgusting, we busted into a torrent of boisterous laughter...... The shortest of the boys walked up to Folake and said hi i'm IK....Yetunde and i were giggling away while Folake looked like she was about to bust into laughter anytime........At that point the bell rang and all six of us walked along, the tallest boy of them all walked beside me and said to me, my name is Onyema (i hope i got the spelling) i looked at him, playing hard to get and mouthed,  Yewande but everybody calls me Wendy *yimu*  he looked into my eyes and smiled, he rolled Wendy around his tongue and said beautiful name for a beautiful chick......you got me baby, i thought to myself, you totally got me.....i almost fainted.......We realized we were in the same class and they did proper introduction, the third guy that liked Yetunde, his name is Boye, he was the cutest of them all... butter looking boy oh....Infact he was the only one in a private school. We all became very good friends, they would come and pick us from Folake's house for lesson, they would buy us lunch, we would sit in their car and gist all day.....IK was in a federal school and owned the battered space wagon, Oyenma was IK's best friend, he attended Government College Lagos, him and Boye were in the same school before Boye papa hammer carry am go private school......in Oyenma's words. Oyenma had a wonderful sense of humor, he was extremely bold and charming, IK on the other hand was a very big spender, he always had money. Boye was a very shy quiet lad and very soft spoken perfect for Yetunde.......

Bukola Ademola's anticipated birthday was fast approaching, we told the boys about it and we all started planning. We were all excited about the party........ Hand don dey pain me *wipes brow*.....TO BE CONTINUED..................  

   

14 comments:

  1. Now it's confirmed that my friend Yetunde no well.... Love u pieces.... Release part 2 on time abi u wan feature Ramsey Noah and Idi dowo flakky ni?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice 1...pls complete d story jor btw u dey waste year talent o! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never ever ever stop an interesting gist half way!!! Never ever!*angry face*

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehehehe Abacha temi nikan and Awero baby!!!Ok so i'm stupidly excited..... Thanks guys

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy!!!Why you be like dis na?I feel like 2 flog u now now now.Ogbeni finish d very interesting story and stop d shakara jor.(Rolling my eyes).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oga Ade finish d story jare

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mama Neo.. finish dis thing jor..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Una don die for my hand..... You shall wait....Buhahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. story to bad............waitin for the part two

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don talk am nah. You be winsh. Why you leave person hanging like dat? Abi u be Nollywood film maker? Release d part 2 jor.
    Nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smh....thank God I waited 4d part 2 b4 I read dem! Mmmssscccheeew! Lobbish & konkorbility! Na so 4dey wait abi?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why did it take you so long to write again? I missed reading from here so much. Hopefully, you write more frequently. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete